Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Old Navy, New Army

Just received word today that I have been officially granted approval for separation from the Navy. What a huge burden that has been lifted! Until today, Janelle and I had been making plans for residency and signing up for the DMA (Deferred Missions Appointee) program in faith that God would get us out of the military. God is good.
For those that may think that I am anti-American, anti-freedom, or an anarchist that has a chip against President Bush or the US Military, hear me out. I believe that there are sincere and loving people in the military that are sacrificing much to serve our country. These people deserve our respect for their willingness to put themselves on the line. I appreciate the freedoms of this country, but I cannot condone the use of killing to achieve that goal. I don't have all the answers for what God allows and does not allow when it comes to the issue of killing, all I know is that as a Christian, Jesus is calling us to a higher standard. Here are some texts to support this point:

Matt. 5: 9 - Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Matt. 5:21-22 - Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

Matt. 5:38-41 - Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth, But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

Matt. 26:52 - Then said Jesus unto him [Peter], Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Rev. 13:10 - He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

Well, now that I am free from the Navy, I will be enlisting into the ranks of the DMA program, serving in the Lord's Army. Janelle and I have had a burden to spend time in the mission field. Although it seems that the USA is becoming more and more a mission field, there are still some nooks and crannies untouched with the gospel outside of this country. We truly want to experience a life lived out on faith, totally supported by God.

Thanks for all the prayers! J&J

3 comments:

Adrian Zahid said...

Praise God for getting you through that difficult time. I am sure He has great things in store for both of you in His service.

janie and paul =) said...

Welcome to the DMA forces! I'm excited to serve with you...perhaps if not in the same city, country, or continent...at least for the same Commander in Chief.

Tim said...

Congratulations, you landlubbers! I always knew this would happen.

btw, clever blog title...